Recipe: Apple Spice Muffins
October 25, 2016
With Fall comes apples and Kristy captures the flavors of Fall with this treat!
Apple Spice Muffins
Makes 20 2-oz muffins
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
½ cup rolled oats
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground cloves
1 cup diced peeled apple
½ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup maple syrup
1 cup whole milk
¼ cup apple cider or water
½ cup pumpkin seed oil or canola oil
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Sift both flours and mix together with rolled oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and clove. Add apples to same bowl and toss with dry ingredients.
3. In separate bowl, whisk together brown sugar, maple syrup, eggs, milk, apple cider (or water) and oil.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix gently until combined (be careful to not overmix the batter).
5. Spoon batter into two standard 12-cup muffin pans (should make about 20 muffins). Batter should fill each cup about 2/3rds of the way.
6. Bake for 15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
7. Transfer to cooling rack and enjoy!
Nutrition Info per serving:
Saturated Fat: 1.5g
Sugar: 10g (8g from added sugars)
Latest Posts Subscribe to the SPE RSS feed
June 16, 2017 by Kristy Del Coro, Senior Culinary Nutritionist
Americans drink more coffee this year than last year...but is all this coffee good for us? In her latest blog, Kristy Del Coro talks about coffee and what the latest research and recommendations say.
May 26, 2017 by Kristy Del Coro, Senior Culinary Nutritionist
Inspired by spring ingredients, Kristy Del Coro created this delicious grain salad, featuring farro, freekeh, chickpeas, strawberries and asparagus.