Sourcing, Preparing, Enhancing
The inspiration for SPE was born from the Latin phrase Sanitas Per Escam®, which means literally “Health through Food.”
But since its founding in 2001, SPE has come to mean much more – a holistic approach that focuses not just on health, but on the sourcing, preparing, and enhancing of food.
Selecting ingredients seasonally, locally and sustainably, with a focus on their nutritional characteristics.
Using specific cooking techniques that preserve the integrity and nutritional qualities of the ingredients.
Maximizing nutritional impact through balanced menus and optimal ingredient combinations.
SPE is committed to:
- Promoting nutrient density through the use of vegetables, fruits, whole grains and legumes
- Encouraging the use of healthier unsaturated fats while limiting the use of saturated fats
- Limiting processed ingredients which are higher in sodium, added sugars and artificial additives
- Promoting preparation techniques that preserve the integrity of the ingredients
- Promoting sustainable meals by encouraging the use of products from responsibly raised animals and smaller portions of red meat