To apply for certification a hotel must complete a questionnaire describing the priorities of their general operation as a whole, and have at least one dining outlet evaluated for a 1-, 2- or 3-star rating.
Our certification can be applied to any type of dining outlet including, but not limited to, the hotel restaurant, poolside dining, in-room dining, conferences and events.
There are many different ways a dining location can earn points toward certification and the more steps a hotel dining outlet takes toward a nutritious, sustainable offering, the higher the score. Stars are awarded as follows with traits of operations included at each level.
A 1-star dining outlet will:
- Offer a small number of dishes that meet SPE’s criteria for a balanced plate, for example at least 2 dishes on the regular menu and at least 1 dish on the children’s menu, if offered
If not already doing so:
- Commit to phasing out the use of products from animals raised with hormones or non-therapeutic antibiotics within 3 years
- Commit to the use of trans-fat free ingredients within 6 months
Achieve an overall score of 30-50% from our questionnaire. Below are some additional characteristics of a 1-star dining outlet:
- Whole grain alternatives
- Vegetarian options and vegetables in many dishes
- Smaller and half portions available for larger plates
- Seasonal specials
- Hormone free milk and sustainable eggs
- Allergen information available for guests
- Identification of healthy options on the menu
A 2-star dining outlet:
Must meet criteria for 1-star certification and achieve a score of 50-80% from our questionnaire. Below are additional actions that characterize a 2-star dining outlet:
- Feature whole grains, legumes and vegetables across menu with an increased number of dishes that meet SPE’s criteria for a balanced plate
- Preference for seafood and poultry over meats
- Use unsaturated oils for cooking
- Minimal deep frying and flame-grilling
- Make stocks, sauces and dressings in house
- More regionally sourced and seasonal ingredients
- Some sustainably grown and raised products
- Increased variety of seafood
- Nutrition information available for guests
A 3-star dining outlet:
Must meet criteria for 2-star certification and achieve a score of 80% or more from our questionnaire. Below are additional actions that characterize a 3-star dining outlet:
- Vegetables, whole grains and legumes in most dishes, with most dishes meeting SPE’s criteria for a balanced plate
- Avoids deep frying or flame-grilling
- Smaller portions of animal proteins, with grass-fed beef and game meats featured
- Avoids highly processed products with artificial colors, flavors or other ingredients of concern
- Highly seasonal menu from regional purveyors
- Varied and sustainably sourced seafood (farmed and/or wild)
- Pastured, sustainably raised meats and poultry
- Consult with RD for nutrition guidance and staff trainings
If you aren’t currently eligible for certification, we can help you get there!
Thank you for your submission. Please expect a response from our team within the next few days.
VP, Culinary Nutrition and Sustainability