How to Detox Naturally
April 3, 2014
R.D. Andrea Canada lists her top “detox foods” and how they help to rid the body of toxins.
Detox diets and juice cleanses are currently very popular and -- as dietitians -- we at SPE Certified are frequently asked about the healthiest ways to remove toxins from our bodies. Juices can be a vitamin- and mineral-rich addition to a balanced diet that includes fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, healthy unsaturated fats, whole grains and legumes. However, in most instances, the human body is well equipped to detox itself when given the proper fuel.
The liver, one of the largest organs in the body, is tasked with filtering toxins out of the blood. Therefore, it follows that consuming foods which contribute to liver health will support the body’s natural detoxification process. Below is a list of foods that can help the liver perform this important job:
1. Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower and other cruciferous vegetables contain phytochemicals that enhance detoxification enzymes in the liver and rid the body of harmful free radicals.
2. Eggs, broccoli, salmon and milk are high in choline and methionine, and are methyl donors, keeping the liver healthy by preventing fat buildup.
3. Beets contain the nutrient betaine (also a methyl donor), which is important to the health of the liver.
4. Onions and garlic, rich in sulfur-containing compounds, promote detoxification enzymes in the liver.
Moreover, be sure to drink plenty of water and get enough fiber to help support your body’s natural elimination of toxins. You can reduce your liver’s detox workload by:
- Avoiding heavily-processed foods with long lists of additives
- Minimizing your intake of charred and hot-smoked foods
- Avoiding smoking, and only consuming alcohol in moderation
Do you have any detox tips of your own? Share them with us in the comments below.
Latest Posts Subscribe to the SPE RSS feed
October 16, 2018 by Doreen Garelick, Dietetic Intern
Our intern Doreen attended a food waste summit for restaurants and compiled these tips to help food service operators redirect food waste from landfills.
September 26, 2018 by Doreen Garelick, Dietetic Intern
Ever notice headlines about rapid weightloss? Dietetic Intern Doreen Garelick looks deeper into a recent eye-catching headline to see if there's any truth behind it.